"Awesome!" A Blog.

Thursday, December 09, 2004

Social Interaction

I was at my printer's picking up the batch of Volume IV, and I was wearing my Red Sox hat. A pretty average attractive lady who was hanging around in the lobby said something positive about the Red Sox and I, having anticipated this eventuality, said something about how I'd been in Boston during the ALCS and how exciting that was. She mentioned how her fiancé was a big Sox fan. This bluntly took the conversation from chitchat into the realm of delicately marshaled social interaction. What did I care that she was affianced? It's a dickle how the recently engaged or pregnant or cuckolded etc cast these major life changes out onto strangers at the slightest provocation. Maybe tomorrow I'll be standing in line at the grocery store with my Red Sox hat on, and the checker will go "Oh, Red Sox! ...my wife shot herself last night."